Francis Granger was a resident of DuPage County for more than seventy years. He was born in New York City in 1839, and accompanied his parents, who were farmers, to Illinois when about one year old. They located in DuPage County on a farm just south of the original Granger Middle School. He lived on the farm until 1893 when he moved to the City of Naperville. He was successful in his agricultural operations and was prominent in local affairs, serving one term as County Supervisor, thirty years as School Trustee, three years as Mayor of the City of Naperville, 1911-1913, President of the Naperville West Side School Board for seven years, one term as Highway Commissioner and one year as Alderman. He was also instrumental in the founding of the Naperville Y.M.C.A. and was a member of the Congregational Church, where he served as deacon for twenty-three years and ten years as Treasurer.
In 1891, Mr. Granger helped organize the First National Bank of Naperville, and served as director for two years. In January 1893, he became cashier, holding the position until January 1910, when he was elected vice president. In September 1910, he became president of the bank and served in that capacity until his death in 1922. Mr. Granger was also director and treasurer of the J. L. Nichols Publishing Company of Naperville.
Mr. Granger was married in 1865 to Miss Vienna Wright. They had a daughter, Mrs. A. C. Unger of Aurora.
In tribute to her husband, Mrs. Granger placed these words on his grave:
A Christian Man who understood life and loved it:
of a golden temper and steadfast as an anchor.
A business man, a citizen, a friend,
Just doing right - not striving to be great or
wise or rich or seeking noble fate;
Just being good and generous and brave.
Just trying how humanity to save.
We can offer no finer tribute to a great man than to enrich, develop, and appreciate the school he founded; and strive to evidence our educational blessings by good citizenship.